Sunday, January 22, 2012

Simple Heart Garland

I recently started a new job and the office decor is about as drab as drab can be. I've already taken some small quilts to spruce up my space. There's one empty wall that can be seen by passers by right as you enter my work area (aka cubicle) that is still blank. I decided that this would be a good transitional wall for seasonal and holiday displays.


New Job = Less Sewing Time. I needed something that would satisfy my need to create without taking a lot of time. This garland is the perfect solution. I used a charm pack of Always and Forever by Deb Strain for Moda.


The good thing about using charm squares from Moda is that they already have pinked edges so they can be used as is without a concern for much fraying on the edges. I paired up the squares so there would be enough contrast between the background and the heart. I traced the hearts on Steam-a-Seam 2, fused them to the back of the heart fabric and cut them out. I ironed the hearts on to the background to finish up the squares. Sewing around the edges of each heart is optional for something that won't be washed, and I chose not to do it.


I cut a one yard piece of grosgrain ribbon and sewed the squares to the ribbon leaving a one-inch space between the squares. I chose YLI clear nylon thread so I wouldn't have to think about thread color. This truly is a one-hour project. I didn't intend this as a mantle decoration but it sure looks cute there. I may need to keep this one at home and make another one for work.


I certainly have plenty more charm squares to play with.


If you want to make your own version of this project, charm packs and fat quarters of this fabric collection are available in the Dragonfly Quilt Shop Etsy store. Use the code SHIP4FREE when you check out and you will receive free shipping on your order until February 14.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...