Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pretty Little Dresden Over the Doorway

There is this space over the door that leads from our kitchen to our dining room.


There used to be a clock there, until we got a bigger clock that had to go on a bigger wall. It is very hard to break the habit of looking at the space over this door to see what time it is. It's even worse to look there and see this big, blank space. That blank space needed a little something.


A few weeks ago I made these Dresden Plates using a charm pack of Kate Spain's Terrain fabric collection. The plan is to turn this group into a small wall hanging or table topper. However, the Dresden on the right sort of stands out from the others and might be happier as a project all its own.


The background fabric is a dark purple. I love how the Dresden really pops off the dark background. I pinned the Dresden to the background and top-stitched around the edges in a cream Aurifil thread. I used a little bit of Steam a Seam 2 to fuse the center circle, then satin stitched around the edges with a King Tut variegated green thread.


I wanted to use the scraps to make a small pieced border. Remember, this project started from five-inch squares. There weren't a whole lot of scraps to begin with. It took every last thread to make that border happen. It was a bit nerve racking there at the end, but it all came together just fine. To quilt it, I used a YLI nylon clear thread. I moved the masking tape around the quilt and quilted straight lines between each dresden piece and out onto the background.


The binding is the same dark purple as the background. This is definitely a happy little quilt.


So now when I look at the wrong place for the clock (which I am certain I will do for at least five years!), I'll see this pretty little quilt and my day will be brighter no matter what time it is.

1 comment :

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...