Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Quilting Practice - Swirls

The next quilting design on the practice list as part of the Craftsy Quilting Negative Spaces class is the swirl. This design is much more difficult than the pebbles that I started out with, and will require lots of practice to conquer. It will be worth it though. It's a really pretty design.


I added to the challenge unintentionally by choosing to practice on a block with narrow quilting spaces. The swirls are supposed to be circles, but many of mine had a bit of a tail, which made them look more like sea shells than tight swirls. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just not the result I was expecting.


There's work to be done here to get a more consistent size throughout the design, and there's also more practice needed figuring out how to end one swirl and start the next. Angela Walters calls it "traveling" in class.


All that said, swirls make a really cool design and overall, I'm very happy with my first attempt.


I've already incorporated the swirls into a "real" project, which I'll be ready to share later this week. Next up on the quilting practice schedule: leaves.

5 comments :

  1. It is amazing how much texture is added by the quilting. Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frances. You know, you're the one who started it all. Took my first machine quilting class from you way back in the 90s. And I'm so glad that I did!

      Delete
  2. I love all of these new quilting techniques you've been learning! It takes your projects to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a huge asterisk - I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...