Monday, December 21, 2015

Star Wars Scarves: A Quick Gift Project


After making some Star Wars pillowcases, there was leftover Star Wars fabric. It took a while to figure out something fast to make, but then I remembered seeing several good scarf tutorials. There wasn't enough fabric to use for the full side of a scarf but there was enough for accents. I also wanted something really soft, so black minkee was the perfect choice for the body of the scarf.
Minkee is a wide fabric at 60 inches, so I cut a 13 inch panel across the width of the fabric. Then I cut two pieces from the Star Wars fabric 4 inches x 13 inches and turned under a quarter inch on the top long side and pressed it.
The Star Wars fabric was laid on the top of each end of the minkee and then the turned under edge was top stitched to the minkee. I wanted the whole scarf to have the weight and feel of the minkee so that is why I stitched it on top of the minkee rather than adding it to the end.
After that, the scarf was folded in half across the long edge with right sides together. The edges were stitched closed except for an opening near the center so that the scarf could be turned right side out. Once it was turned, the opening was top stitched closed.
It is just the right length and says Star Wars without being too obnoxious about it.
The first scarf I made used fabric with yellow letters. It was a little too loud and too wide for what I wanted. I like the subtle look much better.
Four more gifts ready to wrap and put under our tree. While the first scarf took a little longer to make as I was figuring out the measurements I wanted to use, the last two scarves went together in about fifteen minutes each. I will definitely keep this project in mind for future years. This wraps up my gift sewing for this year. Hope you are nearing the end of yours, too.

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times. Linking up to Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts, Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story, and Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

2 comments :

  1. These are so cute - my son would love one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were a hit with the boys, who are getting harder to sew for as they get older. Happy New Year to you.

      Delete

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...