Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Shamrock for March


There was a point in time when I considered this a finished project. It is a pattern from one of Nancy Halvoren's books. Both the shamrock and the lettering had been quilted around with a sparkly gold thread. But after taking Angela Walters Quilting Negative Spaces class, the background became a blank negative space that needed something more.

I decided this quilt needed a pile of gold coins to make it more complete.


I used a blue water soluble marker to make a gentle curve for the top of the pile and lines radiating out above it.


The same gold, sparkly thread makes both the coins and the lines. It was great practice stitching all those gold coins. Because this was already a finished piece, the heavy quilting at the bottom and the lighter quilting at the top made it get a little out of square.


It's okay though. I consider myself very lucky to have all these projects to practice on and hopefully, improve upon. Here's a famous Irish saying to end this St. Patrick's Day post:

"May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light,May good luck pursue you each morning and night."

2 comments :

  1. Beautiful! I bet the sparkly thread looks awesome in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would not have thought to do 'coins. But what a great complement to the shamrock and the March theme - love your Irish saying I it's definitely not blarney.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...