Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Five Generation Quilt Finish



How exciting to see this quilt finished and hung. We visited my mom this weekend, partly to deliver this quilt and get it hung for her. I think she was a little nervous about adding such a bold statement to her room but once it was up, she seemed to like it a lot. I certainly do.


Mom decided to go with classic black for the binding and I think it frames the quilt quite nicely. I really love this quilt. If you missed the work in progress posts, this quilt has generations of history. My great grandmother hand pieced the blocks. This is actually only a third of the blocks she made. My mom has two sisters who also have a set of blocks. My grandmother took care of the blocks for her daughters. The daughters did not receive them until after my grandmother passed away.


My mom machine pieced them on my grandmother's treadle sewing machine last fall. I finished it up with some simple machine quilting and binding. That covers four generations. I am hoping my daughter will create a label for this treasure so that five generations will be involved. I am going to ask her to do that as a mother's day present for both me and my mom.


This quilt came together much faster than I expected. Mom and I made a good team in creating this memory of my grandmother and great grandmother. I am thankful to be a part of this little piece of family history.

Linking up to Let's Bee Social over at Sew Fresh Quilts.

5 comments :

  1. You did a great job with these blocks! And what a great tribute to Grandma - and all the generations who worked on the quilts. The quilt looks great - you did a great job of balancing the dark blocks with the light; it looks wonderful : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quilts with stories like this quilt has. What a precious family treasure with a story to keep passing down. It looks beautiful hanging on her wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! Love the graphic nature of the block, especially with the high-contrast fabric pairings. A genuine treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how this treasure turned out, and it is the perfect piece added to your mother's home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's spectacular! And it looks quite modern, too. Very cool 5-generation quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...