Saturday, December 15, 2018

Making Stockings for a Growing Family


For the first time in three years, all of my children will be together. That is the best gift I could ever receive. It was time to add to the stocking collection so that everyone would be included.


There was a point in time when I thought I would make everyone a cross-stitch stocking, but quickly realized that was going to take more time than I had available. I still have the beginnings of those somewhere and add a few stitches every now and then. Instead, we went with inexpensive, crafty stockings that could uniquely represent each family member. This is where we started in the mid-1990s. Erica was old enough to hand stitch the face on to her flower.


These are all constructed using inexpensive craft felt. Once I decide what should be represented on a stocking, I search for free clip art or photographs to mimic. Typically, I enlarge and print the picture, then use tracing paper to draw and cut all the pieces. For the original stockings I zig zag stitched around each piece, but now I use a simple straight stitch around the edges to hold the pieces in place. The edges of the stocking are both straight stitched and zigzag stitched for strength to hold all the goodies that will be placed inside for Christmas. Beads and sequins are hand stitched down depending on the level of bling desired. These are easy to make and fun to include family members in the process.


In 2000 and 2003, two more children joined us. We've enjoyed our six stockings for many years.


Erica has her own family now. This will be their first Christmas at our house. Zack and Amelia needed a stocking. Amelia turned two last September. We haven't had little kid excitement at Christmas for quite a while around here!


Evan got engaged just a month ago. They live on the beach and Gabi loves her birds.


My mom recently mentioned that she did not have a stocking so I made a pair for her and her dog to hang at her house, too.


It's going to be fun to watch our family continue to grow over the years. This project is the last of my "must finish before Christmas" sewing. Now, I can slow the pace and enjoy time with family, time by the fire, and the peace and joy of the season.

6 comments :

  1. Fabulous stockings and I see you collect Nutcrackers-I use to and have at least 10 of them. Then I got into snowmen instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all so cute!! I have got to get one made for my future Son-In-Law, but it isn't happening this year. At least I have some stockings that my Mom made and I can change the name on one of those for this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon your post on Olive Oil Ice Cream, and it has me both intrigued and eager to try something new in the kitchen!
    promocodehq

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your detailed description of the process and the flavors involved is truly captivating. Thank you for sharing your culinary creativity. I can't wait to see what delicious delights you whip up next!

    <a href="https://www.frugalishness.com/>frugalishness</a>

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I can't help but be impressed by the consistency of excellence in your blog. Your dedication to quality shines through in every post. It's a pleasure to be a reader of such a well-crafted platform."
    dicks military discounts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog on Making Stockings for a Growing Family is a heartwarming tale of creativity and love. Just like discovering exclusive 'UsePromos,' the joy in crafting personalized stockings resonates with the joy of finding special promotions. A delightful read for both craft enthusiasts and savvy shoppers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...