Friday, January 26, 2018

Scrappy Pineapple Quilt Finish


This quilt originally started out as a gift for my mom. She wanted a quilt. I wanted to make a pineapple block. Perfect match, right? Well, no. This crazy, bright, bold quilt is very much my style but not so much hers. I set this aside to make a quilt she would love. You can read about that one here. I knew when I got back to working on this one, it would be for me.


I had never made a pineapple block before and I used the tutorial from Crazy Mom Quilts. It was a little slow going at first as so many new things are, but once I got rolling, I knew this would be a scrap buster extraordinaire.


The digging through scraps round by round was not a lot of fun, so I hunkered down and cut them all. All 1,140 of them. Yep. There are 1,140 pieces of fabric in this quilt top. I probably should not think about that too much.


The more blocks I made, the more bold and crazy the blocks became. I considered redoing this one because it is a bit over the top, but in the big scheme of the quilt, it fits in just fine.




And once I knew this quilt was for me and not for mom, the nerdy fabric came out.


This quilt finishes at 60 x 75 inches. It is quilted in big, loose, elongated loops using Aurifil 50 wt thread. Light gray (2900) on the top and a khaki tan (2600) on the back.


I did not want the quilting to be too heavy, and it is extra fluffy and crinkly after washing.


The binding is teal pearl bracelet fabric. I could not decide on a color for the binding and at breakfast one morning my husband said, "Teal. Make a teal binding." And so I did. The newsprint fabric on the back matches the backing fabric of the quilt I made for my mom. I like that the two quilts are connected in that way.


This is going to be my cozy sofa quilt for a while. I may take it to my office to hang on the wall after the weather warms up. There are lots of stories in those fabric scraps and it would be fun to be able to see it from my desk throughout the day.


I don't have full stats on this project since I only started tracking that at the beginning of the year. Here is what I know:

Size: 60 x 75 inches
Purchases for this quilt: Backing fabric and thread
The quilt top is entirely stash, the batting was on hand, and the binding was gifted in a give away from Pink Door Fabrics.
Time spent quilting: 3 1/2 hours (that big loose pattern went really fast!)
Binding: 1 1/2 hours

4 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to admit, this quilt is on my all time favorites list. Fun to make and fun to use.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A real beauty!! Love it!!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...