Monday, May 5, 2014

Just Sewing - Potholders

Sometimes, a girl just wants to sew. She doesn't want to measure. She doesn't want to cut. She doesn't want to match. It is times like these where this sewing girl turns to her scraps. I save scraps like a crazy woman...like there will never be another new piece of fabric to enter my home. Like I'm really ever going to use up everything that is already here. Ha!


Some of my smallest scraps are sorted into jars. This is the triangle jar. This is where my "just sewing" day began.


I expected the result to be a bunch of gnarly, wonky half square triangles, and there isn't a lot of fantastic matching going on, but the triangles were all similar in size which kept things fairly consistent. At the end of a sewing afternoon, I found myself with three almost finished potholders.


The borders are off set for just a little more "I told you I am not measuring anything today" statement. The quilting was done from the back since this large flower was perfect to outline.


So I did break down and square these up. That is the only measuring and cutting done for the day. All this one needs is some binding.


Here's the second one. Dipped into my jar with strings for the orange trim. A little free motion quilting and a pretty orange print for the back. This one also lacks binding to be complete.


And for the third one, my basket of selvedges called to me from across the room.


That's as far as this one got. It needs backing, quilting, and binding. But it's darn cute.


Here they are all together. They will likely get finished up next weekend. Three pot holders made from the scrappiest of scraps. That should satisfy my "just sewing" need for now.

1 comment :

  1. I like your courage to just step into and use what you have😊. I am saving triangles from trimmings and many other scraps. The triangles are close in size but vary enough to throw off persnickety blocks. I keep my scraps in empty shoe boxes so they can lay flat and I can stack them. Smaller pieces I organize into business size envelopes and store in the shoeboxes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...